You know the natural hair starter pack…it usually involves a bonnet. That silk /satin thing with an elastic band thing that makes me look like you should call me, “ma’am”
Well, I have an option that looks less weird and is still very practical. When I first big chopped I bought a lot of bonnets. Guys, a lot! This was because, the elastic in them kept loosening. Or snapping.
I had to look for an alternative and found satin pillowcases. I’m just going to tell you why I think satin pillow cases are worth your while.
- No headaches: When the bonnets are new, the bands can be a frustration. They keep pressing into my scalp and I’m not one for restlessness. I just want to sleep peacefully biko.
- They don’t slip up: Y’all dunno how many times I’ve woken up and found my hair bare. I’ll then eventually find my bonnet somewhere under my bed.
- They don’t slacken: You don’t even want to know how many slack bonnets I had in my drawer before I figured out how to tighten them.
- You get the real deal: Look properly. Many bonnets are silk/satin on the outside but poor cotton on the inside. A silk pillowcase in not turned inside out so you get the real deal.
- Your skin will thank you: Sleeping with your hair in a bonnet may protect your hair from harm but still leaves your face to the most times harsh cotton material of a pillow case. A satin pillowcase protects your face as well as your hair.
- They make my bed look expensive: You definitely know about the term, “silk sheets”. Well, silk/satin pillowcases too! My small college student size bed gets raised a few levels with my chocolate brown satin covered pillow.
- They are actually inexpensive: If I had the money back for all the bonnets I ever bought, I’ll be able to buy all the blog and life planners I want right now. I used 1 yard of satin material(N400) to make 2 full sized pillow cases with zippers. My tailor who is a real G (Bless up Iya Samuel) charged just N600 for both.
There are some cases where a bonnet may seem more useful though. Such as at a sleep over. You can always have a spare bonnet for that. But for the most part, the pillowcase is better.
Did I convince you? So…satin pillowcases or bonnets? What’s your pick? Don’t go without dropping a comment.
Practice these things and devote yourself to them, in order that your progress may be seen by all. – 1 Timothy 4:15